Monday 25 March 2013

Purple Day Nails!

Tomorrow (26th March) for those of you who don't know, is purple day! Purple day is set up to create global awareness of Epilepsy which I suffer from. 

Epilepsy is a neurological condition which effects the electric signals in the sufferers brain usually causing them to have seizures. Sufferer's seizures can vary and are not always the 'typical' unconsciousness, shaking, jerking, vomiting, becoming incontinent kind. Epilepsy can be controlled by medication or surgery for some people but there is no cure. It's not just the seizures that effect the sufferer, it can be the added stresses that come with them.

I currently have seizures which cause me to become unconscious. I am on medication which has reduced the amount I have but I still ocassionally suffer with the seizures. I was diagnosed at the age of 14. It has really effected my life as a 14, 15 and 16 year old even to the point of me being asked to leave school in Year 10. Blogging has helped me in many ways so I thought I'd share this with you all. For those who would like to find out more, a great place for information is the Epilepsy Action website: http://www.epilepsy.org.uk

Anyway, onto the nails!

I have been looking through my draws and wardrobe to find something purple and I have nothing! (I seriously need to go shopping...) So I decided to paint my nails after buying some new nail varnishes today; further haul post to come. Just to say, usually my nails are long but unfortunately I had to trim all of my nails right down as the cold weather has made them so brittle :(

Glitter, Purple Colour and Basecoat.


I have used the Barry M 'Basecoat, Topcoat and Nail Hardener' (Boots, £2.99) a pale pastel purple from Barry M in the shade 'Berry' (Boots, £2.99) and a purple glitter varnish from Rimmel that I was given years ago. I think that this has been discontinued but a good substitute would be Models Own 'Purple Haze' (Boots, £5.00). 

Clean nails!


Firstly I put the Barry M 'Basecoat, Topcoat and Nail Hardener' on to clean dry nails making sure that any old polish had been been removed. After allowing about 3 minutes for this to dry, I applied the purple. This does not have to be really neat as there will be the glitter coat over the top. Have nail varnish remover and cotton pads available if you go wrong. A little tip, cotton buds soaked in nail varnish remover are great to wipe around the sides of the nail if you go onto the skin or are prone to being really messy like me!
Pastel Purple!


Leaving about 5 minutes for the purple to harden, apply the glitter varnish. You can build this up as much as you would like, I only used one coat as I wanted the previous coat of purple paint to be visible. You should now be finished!

Finished!


This is just an idea and can be altered in anyway you would like! I would love to see/hear about other ideas for nails and purple day so leave a comment below! Remember to spread awareness about Epilepsy and Purple Day. You never know if and/or when it could effect you.
Emily x

No comments:

Post a Comment